Madame John’s Legacy
Madame John's Legacy is currently closed while careful and important work is being done to preserve this most historic building. Please visit our four other museums in the French Quarter.
Major funding for the preservation of Madame John’s Legacy was secured by Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser and the Louisiana Department of Culture Recreation and Tourism from the State Office of Facility Planning and Control.
Anyone with an eye for architecture will want to check out Madame John’s Legacy in the historic French Quarter. It is one of the finest 18th-century building complexes in Louisiana and one of the best examples of French colonial architecture in North America. Built in 1788 following a devastating fire that destroyed eighty percent of the city, it was constructed in the French colonial style that prevailed before the disaster.
Madame John’s is an excellent example of Louisiana-Creole 18th century residential design. Due to its fine architectural character and historical significance, it is an official National Historic Landmark. The complex consists of three buildings—the main house, a kitchen with cook’s quarters, and a two-story dependency. The house’s name was inspired by George Washington Cable’s 1874 short story “‘Tite Poulette,” in which the character Monsieur John bequeaths a Dumaine Street house to his mistress, known as Madame John.
Though older parts of town were once dotted with similar structures, today very few houses like Madame John’s Legacy remain.