The Cabildo

From “Dirty Shirts” to Buccaneers: The Battle of New Orleans in American Culture

Louisiana: A Medley of Cultures

The Presbytère

Living with Hurricanes: Katrina and Beyond

50th Anniversary of Hurricane Betsy and 10th Anniversary of Katrina and Rita

Mardi Gras: It’s Carnival Time in Louisiana!

Iris and the Goddesses of Carnival

The New Orleans Jazz Museum at the Old U.S. Mint

The Old U.S. Mint began producing coins for the United States in 1838. During the Civil War, it briefly issued Confederate coins, making this mint the only one to make both American and Confederate coins. Minting operations ceased in 1909, and for the next several decades the building served a number of federal entities, including the Navy and the Coast Guard. A small exhibition details the history of the building’s coin production.

The U.S. government donated the Mint to the Louisiana State Museum in 1966. Today, the building houses changing exhibitions, the Louisiana Music Collection, the Louisiana Historical Center and a performance venue.

Soul of The South: Selections from the Gitter-Yelen Collection

Pete Fountain: A Life Half-Fast

1850 House

Experience Life in New Orleans in the mid-1800s

Madame John’s Legacy

The Palm, the Pine, and the Cypress: Newcomb Pottery of New Orleans

Capitol Park Museum

Grounds for Greatness: Louisiana and the Nation

Experiencing Louisiana: Discovering the Soul of America

Louisiana Inspired: Selections from the Permanent Collection

E.D. White Historical Site

Exploring this National Historic Landmark will offer both a tour through a historical structure and the culture that surrounded the home throughout history.

Situated on the banks of Bayou Lafourche, this was the residence of two of Louisiana’s significant political figures: Governor Edward Douglas White and his son,U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Edward Douglass White. The exhibition in this historic house tells the story of the Bayou Lafourche area, tracing the history of Chitimacha Indians, Acadian settlers, slavery, sugar cane plantations and the White family. 

Bayou Lafourche, stretching a hundred miles from Donaldsonville to the Gulf of Mexico, is the youngest of the Mississippi River’s abandoned distributaries. In 1904 the construction of a dam at Donaldsonville separated the bayou from the Mississippi. The first residents on Bayou Lafourche were American Indians, who may have arrived as early as 500 A.D. In the late 19th century, Acadians, seeking a home after the British deported them from Canada, arrived at the invitation of Spain. By the 1790s, Acadians, Isleños (Canary Islanders), Chitimacha Indians, French Creoles and African slaves formed a new culture along Bayou Lafourche.

The region’s sugar industry grew rapidly in the early 1800s, as wealthy American and French Creole planters invested in large sugar plantations. After the Civil War and the end of slavery, the transition to wage labor resulted in labor strife, culminating in an 1887 Knights of Labor strike that ended in violence with a victory for the planters. In the 20th century, sugar producers modernized with tractors and harvesters, resulting in a reduced workforce.

You will also learn about the political careers of Edward Douglas White, governor for one term and a member of the U.S. House of Representatives for five terms in the 1830s and 1840s, and his son, Edward Douglass White, a U.S. senator (1891—1894) and United States Supreme Court justice (1894—1921); chief justice beginning in 1910). Among the younger White’s possessions on display are his law books, a chair he used while serving as chief justice and a 19th-century steamer trunk.

Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame &  Northwest Louisiana History Museum

Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame Digital Database

Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame New Inductees

Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame and Sportsman’s Paradise

The Northwest Louisiana History Museum

Beyond Sunday:  Fifty Years of the New Orleans Saints

Wedell-Williams Aviation and Cypress Sawmill Museum

The Golden Age of Aviation

The Patterson Cypress Sawmill Museum

The Plantation Photographs of Robert Tebbs